Thursday, February 19, 2009

A good friend and former player needs our help


Katina Fotiou

One of my friends and former player, Katina Fotiou needs our help. Kat was my point guard during the 87, 88 and 89 Basketball seasons at Mountain View High School in Vancouver, WA. Kat also played soccer and softball at MV and is an 1989 graduate. Kat has a non cancerous brain tumor that has to be removed as soon as possible. Kat does not have medical insurance to cover the cost of the surgery. As her former Coach, I and her former teammates are asking for your generosity to help Kat out. This site is for donations to Kat.


UPDATE...BENEFIT FOR KAT GOLF TOURNAMENT DATE MAY 2ND

CAMAS MEADOWS GOLF COURSE, CAMAS, WA.

8 AM SHOTGUN $150 PER PERSON

INCLUDES BBQ LUNCH AFTER GOLF

BENEFIT AUCTION, PUTTING CONTEST AND MORE

GET YOUR TEAM TOGETHER AND CALL 360-901-4291 TO SIGN UP!

You can send a check to Katina Fotiou
in memo line put donation or benefit

Or you can use the Paypal donate buttons below.





Guaranty Bank

3011 Williams Drive

Georgetown, TX 78628

About Kat from Kat

My name is Katina "KAT" Fotiou I spent more than half of my life in Vancouver Washington than any other place in my life. We moved to Vancouver in 1975, and could be the easiest people in Vancouver to find. Still in the same house, same address, same phone number! I attended Fircrest Elementary, Cascade Jr. High, and Mountain View High School. I was a 9 time varsity letter men, lettering in Soccer '86-'89, Basketball '86-'89, and Softball '86-'89. I was active in club soccer in the Evergreen soccer club, and made the Olympic Developmental traveling soccer team a few years running as a high school student. I attended Mt. Hood Community College on a Basketball scholarship out of high school. Sports have been my life-line and my source of entertainment, and life long friendships. My roots are deep in Vancouver and the proof is in this blog site and involvement from all those connections and friends I'm made through the years.

3 years ago I moved to Georgetown Texas, about 28 miles North of Austin Texas. About 5 years ago I started to notice that my sense of balance was starting to take a hit. I was getting the early stages of vertigo. It took awhile for the room to catch up with me, and I was starting to fall over and run into things. Something that was very foreign to someone who's eye-hand coordination was her life line. I was just told it was sinus blockage and it would pass. I moved to TX in 2005, and started practicing massage therapy. I've been a massage therapist for 7.5 years and today I run the physical medicine department for a local G.P Doctor. I've been working for this local doctor for 2.5 years and in that time I've been pursuing a career in law enforcement. One major reason I am seeking other employment is for retirement and medical benefits which I am without as of now. I am treated for acute things in office but if anything happened that was beyond general help I would be in trouble. Well about 2 years ago I started losing hearing hearing in my right ear. Again I was told it was just Texas allergies and they treated me for allergies and fluid behind the ear. In October I started getting randomly sick with dizziness, nausea, vomiting, wicked headaches, and optical migraines. I would just start throwing-up for no reason, and it would last for a few hours and then it would pass just to be sick again in a few hours. These episodes would grow more and more frequent and last longer and longer. It was just after the first of the year that my symptoms started getting worse. I had an episode that left me in the doctors office trying to control the nausea with lots of anti-nausea medicine. It was after this visit that the doctor I work for told me it was time to rule out the uglies. I was scheduled for a Cat scan that following day. It was there that they found a legion on the right side of my brain. There would need to be a MRI to confirm the findings. That CT scan was Jan 16Th , 2009. The following Monday, Jan. 20Th, 2009 I went in for an MRI. In the last month I have had appointments with and ENT/Neurosurgeon tag team. This is the only surgical team in Austin who performs this very specialized surgery. It's a straight forward surgery with 85% success rate.The bad side of this scenario is that I will lose complete hearing in my right ear. They hope to be able to save my facial nerve, good news! They have me on a low grade steroid to help control the swelling of the brain tumor. It is pushing on my brain stem and that is the reason for the dizziness, nausea, headaches, etc.The doctors have said they will work with us, but there is no payment plan for the physician part of the surgery. This surgery is gonna take 8-10 hours. The ENT will be doing all of the deconstruction/reconstruction, and will do the majority of the surgery. The neurosurgeon will be in maybe a max of 2-3 hours to remove the tumor. I've been told that the ENT will cost $6000.00, and my neurosurgeon will cost me $12, 875.00. So when I can pay them $20,000.00 they will put me on the schedule for surgery. They know I have NO INSURANCE!! That is the reason for this bio and this blog site. I'm gonna need major brain surgery that is gonna cost hundred of thousands of dollars. Thank you Coach Meyer, Dan, Sheri, Willie, and the team. You are appreciated in ways words can never express


Thank You from the bottom our all our hearts!

Use this donate button for Paypal





You can send a check to Katina Fotiou
in memo line put donation or benefit

Guaranty Bank

3011 Williams Drive

Georgetown, TX 78628




blogger tracker
Chemistry Dating

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking that it would be helpful for people to see a running tally of how much has been collected. the following website has a widget for that. you can add it to the sidebar.
    http://www.chipin.com/overview

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shannon, I have added this to the blog, it will total for us from now on. I wish I would have know about this at the beginning....Oh well from now on it will show the tota.

    ReplyDelete